Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dog Sitting

It's almost been a week since I last posted. Elan and I have been in Del Rio, trying to make a little extra cash. We are dog and house sitting for a coworker of my sister-in-law, Edna. It's been interesting. Elan is not used to big dogs and it's been hard getting him to understand that this is their house and he can't boss them around. I mean, why are they going to listen to him? They are bigger than he is- they are boxers, after all.

Overall, it's been good, but it has been a little challenging trying to keep Elan entertained in a house that isn't ours. And I don't like him to leave his toys out, in fear that the dogs might chew them up (one of them likes to chew). This is hard for him to understand.  He has spent a few days at my parents' or at Julio's parents' just to give him a break (the break might be for me, too). Plus, his grandparents (on both sides) know how to make kids happy- play, swim, run in the sprinklers, pick figs, go look at the goats, eat popsicles, ice cream, candy, cookies, etc.- you get the idea. The way to Elan's heart is dessert. He takes after his dad.

The dogs, Ariel and Packie, are well-behaved. They mostly like to hang out inside. They sleep and snore. But every now and then, they'll let you know they have to relieve some built-up energy. At that point, I'll take them for a walk or just play with them inside. It's soooo hot, so unfortunately, I don't let them outside too often or for too long.

Nighttime is most challenging. The house has a huge walk-in shower and the dogs get a shower every night. Well, so does Elan. So, I kill 2 birds with 1 stone. First I shower Elan in the walk-in shower (the shower head is removable), then wrap him up in a towel, and sit him on the tub edge. He sits there while I shower the dogs. They are amazingly calm while being showered. But for some reason, a few nights after their shower, they have gotten a huge burst of energy and they are ALL OVER THE HOUSE- running up and down the halls, around the living room at crazy speeds. This is going on while I try to put Elan in his pajamas and get his teeth brushed... and calmed down for bed. Miranda, my niece, had been helping me for the first 8 days (before she left for her trip out East). She worked on calming the dogs while I put Elan down for bed. But last night was my first night on my own. Sigh. It wasn't bad, but for a moment there, I got nervous. They were running around like they've done other nights, and I thought, how am I going to do this? So, I just pushed Elan's bedtime for later and we sat with them till they calmed down and fell asleep. Then we moved to our room, and I worked on calming Elan. This was easier. :) Makes me wonder if this is what it's like for people with twins and triplets. And just how does Octomom do it?

It has been a learning experience and I doubt we'll be getting a dog anytime soon. They are a big responsibility and can be a lot of work, just like kids. To be honest, taking care of the dogs alone is not that bad. And taking care of Elan alone is not bad, either. But, it's the two combined that I have found challenging. Making sure everyone has eaten, used the restroom, napped, been taken for a walk, has had enough to drink, etc..

Well, the owners return tomorrow night. I'm supposed to be cleaning, not blogging. But I just felt like updating, so here I am.

I'll be heading back to Austin on Tuesday night and I am looking forward to a pedicure, some quiet time, and maybe a girls' night. I think the boys will allow me that. :)

2 comments:

  1. A shower every night for the dogs! Sounds like a big job! Hiro gets super excited like that when we bath him too.

    I'm in for a girl's night soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiro?! We have a Hiro, too!

    ReplyDelete